PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightdeck cams
Thread: Flightdeck cams
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2019, 20:48
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred
FDR’s and CVR’s were originally developed to speak when the pilots were no longer alive to speak.

I believe they are used for more than that these days... I think that’s what we refer to as “mission creep”.

A little bit like internet metadata monitoring, which in my country was introduced to capture terrorists and paedophiles. Most recently it was reported that a local government was using it to capture and fine owners of unregistered pets.

Out of interest, does anyone have any links to current regulations around the world where the CVR may be accessed when the pilots are still available to tell the story?

When the offices of our CEO’s and politicians have CVR’s, maybe I’ll agree to this.
If it is available someone in management will use it. It would be better to live stream CVR, CVidR and DFDR information to an escrow database that has a legal requirement to only release the information in the case of an accident/incident to the NTSB or equivalent. As it is there are cases of FOQA being used to chase pilots. A formal escrow system would provide for immediate access by government investigatory bodies but not for a bean-counter or manager at Fly-by-Nite airlines who wants to chase the crews.