PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My beautiful Weber!
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:06
F-16GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Straight Dave
Hi guys, I’m new here so building my post count so I can eventually post URLs, which in the main will mostly be YouTube clips of some of the greatest Winston Churchill speeches.

Anyway, I’m really into BBQ and recently bought a Pro Q Elite smoker.

I’ve had one descent low and slow pork shoulder from it in 10 attempts.

I’m struggling to maintain temp for long enough to cook the meat and losing patience. This normally occurs after 7 hours plus.

Question is, do you smoke meat, if so how?!

Any advice appreciated. Thanks gents.
SD,

I also started out with the Pro Q Excel smoker. From my experience you should always use good quality briquettes like Heat Beads. Du not use charcoal or coconut shell charcoal as they do not contain enough energi and tend to give you more ash then heat. Save the charcoal to the day when you step up your game and acquire a kamado grill.
In the Pro Q I will normally smoke the meat for 16 to 18 hours with the temp gauge in the lid around 105-110 degrees celsius. I will start op by filling about 10kg of Heat Beads stacked in the minion method mixed with lumps of wood (smoke). If its cold outside I might have to fill 4 or 5 more kg of Heat Beads in the basket after 10 or 12 hours. While doing that I will remove all the ash as it clogs up the air circulation. If you want a tool to help you maintain a steady temperature, you need something like the Flame Boss Pit controller that I've got. Pretty neat kit but expensive.
Normally I will check the water level every 4 to 5 hours. It normally takes some refills during the cook.
Hope my tips are useful.

Minion metod
Flame Boss