PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: Pilots in Crashing Aircraft Avoiding People on the Ground
Old 24th Feb 2019, 22:50
msbbarratt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dead_pan
msbbarratt - not sure which bit of Abingdon the Tornado would have flown over - I understood it flew in pretty much a straight line from the runway to the outskirts of Drayton where it crashed.

Incidentally Drayton must hold some sort of record for the number of mil aircraft which have crashed on or v near it: a Beverley, a Puma, the aforementioned Tornado, and a Tutor
I recall it being pretty close to Masefield Crescent, going across the B4017 not very far south of the housing round there. At least, had they ejected earlier there'd been a good chance that that's where the aircraft may have ended up.

I'd always understood that they'd taken off, run into birds, tried to do a circuit then opted for the field instead when it became clear they weren't going to get back to the aerodrome. I was in Marcham at the time, and it sounded (nb I didn't clap eyes on it) like it came more or less overhead. But it's a long time ago now, so I'm quite prepared to go along with a more reliable source of information such as yourself.

Pretty sure a Mossie had come down near Drayton too. Think I've got the loss log somewhere, will have to check.