PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows pilot
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2019, 19:45
Jet9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Odanrot
Yes I do. He was my QFI at RAF Syerston in 1968. A Flying Officer who just didn’t bother to take the B Exam to get promoted to Flt Lt. He came to be an instructor following a tour in the Middle East on 208 Sqn and was obviously not happy with his lot. He was 26 and I was 19 and I was very wet behind the ears.
There is no doubt he was a very talented pilot and while obviously bored with JP handling and speeds, which to me were amazing, he gave me the enthusiasm to want to go on to faster and more thrilling jets. He had a girlfriend who flew with Cambrian out of Cardiff and, as a Welshman myself, we took a JP to St Athan for a week end on more than one occasion. I remember meeting him early on a Monday morning to return to Syerston and he was quite happy to let me fly him back.

As a result of his example in the cockpit, and the bar, I went on to fly Gnats and a career flying fast jets. I remember on my first tour walking around my quarters garden on a cold January night having heard on his death at Kemble. I have raised a glass on many occasions since to his memory.

I went to CFS eventually and spent a full tour at Valley on the Hawk and tried to put the same same enthusiasm for flying into my studes. Those that I still see seem to think I did OK.

He was a fine pilot, difficult friend
Thanks odanrot!. This is much appreciated. 😊