PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2019, 06:52
PapaDolmio

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My contribution:

Novels:
Convenant with Death- John Harris. The life and death of a New Army Battalion on the Somme. Loosely based on the Leeds Pals.
Bomber- Len Deighton. Covered already.

Non Fiction:
To the victor the spoils- Sean Longden. The 21st Army Group in NW Europe 1944-45. More of a 'social history'- you won't look at a WW2 vet in quite the same way again.
Singapore Burning- Colin Smith. Staggering incompetence at virtually every level. Hardly anyone comes out of it with any credit although it does shed a slightly better light on Arthur Percival and the bum deal he got dealt. Also deals in detail with the loss of the PoW and Repulse in detail.

Favourite quote: Apparently Arthur 'Bomber' Harris and Adm Tom Phillips had served together prior to going their separate ways and frequently had animated discussions about the battleship vs aircraft debate. After one such debate an exasperated Harris said Tom, one day you'll be standing on the bridge of your battleship and it will be sunk by torpedo carrying aircraft. As you slip beneath the waves your last thought will be "That was a f*****g big mine".
Whilst not a great fan of Harris and if true, I did think it rather good.