PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 767 down/Texas
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 21:01
Carbon Bootprint

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Diego kid
According to local witness it weather was good at the time of the accident?
Though it was very foggy this morning with a rather violent front forecast to come through, the fog would have lifted by the time of the crash. I live a few miles NE of IAH on the approach to 26R and the front was never as bad as predicted. It was actually much nicer than expected here, though I acknowledge that weather from one side of the Houston metro area to the other can vary quite considerably. However, the Chambers County Sheriff just gave a press briefing where he stated several witnesses in boats and at a nearby park had stated that the plane basically nose-dived into the bay. He stated surface visibility as good and weather was not reported as an issue.

Aerial pictures of the site show a pretty sizable debris field with not many large pieces visible. The largest piece I've seen was what appeared to be a portion of the vertical stab with the right side of the Amazon logo. The water is murky, five feet deep max with plenty of shallow mud marsh. This is going to take a while to piece together. The sheriff said Chambers County will make their hangar available to NTSB and have offered a building in the park near the scene for use as a command center.