PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: Pilots in Crashing Aircraft Avoiding People on the Ground
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 19:58
sharpend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The B Word

But your press statement all those years ago stated you couldn’t see a thing for a while, so how did you see the “old folks home” to avoid it?

Or was it Lester, your Nav, that called it out so you could avoid it?
Absolutely correct. I was totally blind for some time and then managed to get a little blurred vision in my right eye. However, if you read my comment again you will note that I had absolutely no idea of what was around me and totally no interest other than to put the jet on the ground before I ran out of blood. Farmhouses, old folks homes or schools were furthest from my mind. Quote: 'Personally. I cannot really recall what was going thro my mind other than I had to get on the ground before I bled to death. Like most in this drastic situation one is dealing frantically with the emergency and not thinking too much about the old peoples home, even if you know that one was close'. So basically, in answer to the original question, a pilot invariable (but perhaps not always) looks after himself, his crew and the aeroplane and trusts that those on the ground are not involved.