PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 13:03
canuck slf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1gintonic
In the early 70's LHR to ABZ and INV were Viscount operated. In about 1976 Aberdeen services were operated by Trident 1E's, formerly from Northeast Airlines. These types, of which there were only 3 in the whole BA Trident fleet were much more suitable for the short runway at Aberdeen than the standard Trident 1C. The Boeing 737-200 then took over in early 80's followed by B737-400 in the 90's. As far as I can recall, LHR-INV continued with Viscounts until the closure of most UK and Ireland routes in about 1982 when Dan Air took on the route. Following their acquisition by BA, B737-400 were introduced until BA stopped the route altogether.
I used to travel LHR-ABZ on the way to LSI in 1974. After the Viscounts BAC 1-11s were used to ABZ, really tight seating. There was also one chaotic weekend when the Viscounts fleet was withdrawn for corrosion/fatique checks due to an accident in South America I think and Tridents were used LHR-ABZ.

Last edited by canuck slf; 25th Feb 2019 at 04:23. Reason: Clarify Trident was LHR-ABZ