PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thunderstorm Avoidance
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2003, 06:07
slamer

There are probably as many techniques and ideas on this as there are pilots, some points that come to mind are;

-Stay out of them (CB,s), especially if Magenta is painting, otherwise expect a memorable ride. Im tempted to say they tend to be more active around the ITCZ & Sub-Continent (and they are) but in reality if the conditions are suitable they can all pack a good punch regardless of Latitude.

-Take note of the Met Brief (assume its accurate) if possible re-file another route to avoid concentrated areas of CB activity.

-Keep your eyes open,(inside & outside the cockpit) especially at nite, there always seems to be a skinny cell sitting just
under/obscured by the trk line that will kick your A... when you least expect.

-Know your wx Radar system, Read the handbook but also have a play (with the Radar!) in clear air. Tilt, Cal, Range, Ident, etc. you will find settings that work for your operation. Wx Radars seem to vary in accuracy and can have thier own personality.

-Try and pass, up-wind of the cell to reduce Turb,

-Begin avoidance early, Try not to find yourself in a situation where the CB is closer than your turn radius!. Some companys have SOP's on lat dist from cells. It is fair to say you can " just miss them" but not that prudent, 3- 5 miles should be safe, depending on how active they are, you may want more

-Try and avoid flying just over CB's, especially building ones, often there is CAT lurking there. conversely avoid flying under
"overhangs" these may contain nasty surprises , freezing rain etc

-If you find yourself in a situation where you cant avoid penetrating a line of CB's, (and sooner or later you will) have an awareness of your Buffet margins, Turb pen speeds, use of a/c systems, Ignition, A/T , A/P, EAI/WAI etc, make sure you have full avail perf if or when you req it.
when in areas of active wx I tend to leave the hdg select at Max AOB so I can turn quickly if required, you can always back off the angle later, Yeh I know some people Bitch about this down the back, but they will Bitch more if you run into a CB.

-I avoid large/excessive deviations from TRK (I would consider this >40- 50nm) I prefer to prepare the cabin, batten down the hatches and find a suitable route, If the atmosphere is that unstable going 100nm off trk will probably just turn up more wx! so what do you do? go another 100nm, next thing your diverting due insuff fuel

-Advise the cabin, dont just tell them "theres a bit turb ahead" if warranted TELL them to stow the Galley and take their seats immediatley, ensure pax remain securely seated until the all-clear. if its a real rough ride advise your maint people.

-Lastly tell ATC if your deviating around wx, otherwise you may be in for another rough ride from the duty supervisor, then the boss, if ATC are slow coming up with a CLR theres a procedure in Jepp to follow

Im sure theres more!