PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 20:47
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!
Thank you Curtain..
OTOH some here sound like a defense lawyer being picky about the malfunction definition during the upcoming liability suits.
Sheesh.
Then Mad expresses the thots of many
Thus, while the name of the procedure appears to be narrowly defined, the indications - the conditions under which you are expected to action, or at least consider actioning, the procedure - cover a range of scenarios
So in a galaxy far away I had this malfunction that had no procedure, and only thing we had in our checklist was called "LEF Malfunction" ; So when I called in after getting heart rate below 150 or so, and altitude of 1,000 feet or so, still climbing ( speed may be life, but altitude is life insurance!), my squad "helper" said to "LOCK" flaps after gear down, as that was the only procedure at the time. I explained that I had a diferent problem. Was second guy with this, and first one over in an EPG country died trying to land but we didn't know the details, so for all practical purposes I was the first and I recorded the approach for a potential accident board ( it's in my interview on the public profile heref - crappy video conversion thru three formats )..
So here's what I saw just after raising the gear:

Surprise!
And here's the quote from our checklist and Dash One:
A [symmetric] LEF malfunction may be indicated by the LE FLAPS caution light. This indicates that one or both of the LEF branches have malfunctioned. LEF may stop and remain fixed in position when the malfunction occurs. An LE FLAPS caution light may also indicate that an asymmetry was detected and the asymmetry brakes have locked the LEF's. LEF's
should remain symmetrical (within 10 degrees).
The assymetric flap procedure was added after my episode

The most likely cause of an asymmetric LEF malfunction is a mechanical disconnect in one of the LEF drive trains accompanied by a failure of the asymmetry brake(which is what happened). This failure may not illuminate the LE FLAPS caution light . The first indication of an asymmetry is an uncommanded roll. The failed LEF may be as much as 90 degrees up or down.
Let the picture speak to that.

So the cardinal rule applied, and I followed it. Fly the damned plane, then call for help when you can. Don't change anything if you are not wildly out of control. Do not troubleshoot unless the procedure calls for it AND the original problem is mitigated, otherwise do what the previous 610 crew did and accept the horn/shaker/whatever and fly with manual trim wheel.

I still maintain:
Boeing needed to 1) tell all the users about the MCAS system, 2) change the emergency procedures for ALL perceived trim malfunctions as Mad has shown for brand-x to have the crew simply tiurn off the electric trim and then proceed, maybe with more steps if required, and 3) conduct a better fault tree analysis before fielding this lates kludge

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 23rd Feb 2019 at 00:55. Reason: font correction