PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Air ops (Systems)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 14:05
skiwalkcycle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XFC
Point to note, you'll not be 'ATC' any more, you'll be Air Ops (C). Pedantic maybe but it's an important point as the 'never escaping the tower' line doesn't hold any more.

As Air Ops (C) you could be controlling from a tower, a CRC or the E-3D (future Air C2 platforms could be a big draw for Air Ops (C) manpower). There is also opportunity for exchange to the army or RM as the SO3 BM and cross posting to Typhoon Lightning forces as the BM SME. They are actively pushing the cross pollination of controller jobs to prove the merger a success. If you're looking at the Air Ops branch I can't recommend at least attempting the control side of it enough.

Full disclosure, I am a current Air Ops (C) so may be biased!
Ok thats interesting to note, I suppose when considered as Air Ops (C) it makes more sense that there is an option to convert into a different role within the branch more than there was when they were separate branches! It seems its very up in the air at the moment with the recent changes, I've notified of a change to Air Ops (S) for now, but I appreciate your reply as it may come in helpful later on!