PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Air ops (Systems)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 13:27
XFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiwalkcycle
Thanks for all the replies!

WSO not an option - same test that prevented my pilot application going forward also meant I couldn't go into this branch. With regards from going across branches as an officer (say ATC->WSO) is that common in the current RAF? I'm fully intending on making a career out of my choice, but its unclear if a branch change is possible as an officer or just through a commission

I think I'm going to go down the systems route for now, and possibly reconsider if offered a role in the control trade as I have the aptitude scores. I've heard that control rarely escape the tower due to manpower requirement, but if a current or recent ATC appears I'd like to know their opinion on this!

Thanks again all
Point to note, you'll not be 'ATC' any more, you'll be Air Ops (C). Pedantic maybe but it's an important point as the 'never escaping the tower' line doesn't hold any more.

As Air Ops (C) you could be controlling from a tower, a CRC or the E-3D (future Air C2 platforms could be a big draw for Air Ops (C) manpower). There is also opportunity for exchange to the army or RM as the SO3 BM and cross posting to Typhoon Lightning forces as the BM SME. They are actively pushing the cross pollination of controller jobs to prove the merger a success. If you're looking at the Air Ops branch I can't recommend at least attempting the control side of it enough.

Full disclosure, I am a current Air Ops (C) so may be biased!