PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR(R) - is it really worth it?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 11:32
brocken_spectre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by portsharbourflyer
Alex,

To do the CBIR you need to log a total of 40 hour of instrument flying; you then do an assessment and the ATO will determine how much approved training you need to do to complete the IR.
If the competency assessment is good then the ATO only has to specify a minimum of 10 hours of approved training. At the end of the CBIR course you are still issued an IR(A) and the rating on the license will not be distinguishable from one completed from the full 50 hour approved course. So at the end you have still completed 50 hours as per the original course.
Now the IR(R) is 15 of those 40 hours. How you build the remaining 25 is up to you, in theory you could log it all solo while using your IR(R) rating, However to stand a chance of getting the pre CBIR assessment coming out as minimum training only required you will probably need that 25 hours to involve some form of instructing from an IRI. However that "25" hours does not have to be approved training as part of a formal course. So with the CBIR option available there is no reason for any modular student to be doing full 50 hour approved courses. Are schools in Spain and Sweden offering the CBIR route as an option, I have no idea, while it is an EASA recognised route to the IR(A) it doesn't always follow that all EASA states are aligned.
You've definitely made me consider the CBIR more now!

How does it work with gaining a multi-engined IR? I've got the MEP rating on the list of things to do over the next couple of months, so would have it either before IR training or during.

Ideally, I wouldn't want to take 2 IR skills tests