PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777-300 Landing Tailstrike 11 Dec 2018 in Hong Kong
Old 21st Feb 2019, 23:48
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by giggitygiggity
In my major european airline, we have to fly CAT II with the AP in also. I assume it was a fairly common rule now? A few years ago it said we SHOULD fly CAT II with an AP and it should never be planned to be manually flown, now we don't practice it in the sim so the rules have changed meaning that anything tighter than CAT I (eg LTS/OTS etc) must be flown with the automatics.
So assuming you have a total A/P failure (unlikely) and the WX is CAT II for your destination and your alternate is 500 miles away you go to your alternate even if the aircraft was certified to be CAT II hand flown?

What about those aircrafts with HUDs that are certified/capable to be hand flown to CAT IIIA minimums?

The C Series now Airbus 220 was certified to be hand flown to CAT IIIA minimums a year ahead of its Auto land certification.

The irony here in Canada is that a private operator can shoot and ILS CAT I to the same visual limits (RVR 1200' / 1/4 of a mile vis) except the DH will be typically 100 feet higher (200' agl versus 100' agl) and this to runways without the same lighting systems requirements as on a CAT II runway.

Seems not allowing aircrews to hand fly down to what an aircraft is certified to can restrict daily operations when needed.