PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2019, 18:12
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reversethrustset
I'm not sure the problems with fog are half as bad as is being made out. How many days a year are affected in all seriousness? Also with the RVR on R20 being 800m how many of those fog days are actually between 550m and 800m so that R20 is really a thorn in it's side? Probably not that many (yes I've operated from SOU for years before you ask). If it's foggy in SOU it's normally below 550m so unless a CAT II is installed the current RVR restriction is largely irrelevant. Many airfields in the UK operate without a CAT II system, EXT, CWL, LCY, ABZ, BHD to name a few. I use SOU as one of my primary alternates virtually every day and it's rarely a marginal decision, it's either completely out or I can use it.
I Would love to know the answer to that question, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the most fog affected airport in the country. 3 days in a row last week for a start. No point paying a premium to fly from your local airport if you are end up diverted 140 miles away at 11pm at night like some people were last week.