PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New big German-French Fighter Bomber under development
Old 19th Feb 2019, 19:59
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
The latest graphic from BAES has a bigger canopy and rumours abound about a possible return to 2-seat ops. It also says “pilots” - ie. plural?

Maybe the RAF are starting to listen to other coalition partners? Here is a good sound bite from Air Cdre ‘Zed’ Robertson talking about Syrian ops (Op OKRA):

The Super Hornet, to my mind, was probably the best tactical platform in-theatre at the tactical strike role. Now I would say that, wouldn’t I, as Commander Air Combat Group? The two-seat concept was absolutely validated—the ability to get the platform over there, deal with the initial complexities and employ operationally was excellent. It was very different by December, when we were working with the larger coalition of 13 nations. When we arrived, the Brits had just started dropping weapons, so we were about the third nation to drop weapons. The French had done a couple as well, but as a coalition, we were very much at the forefront of the campaign.

The processes were very immature. Having a pilot and WSO able to work through the rules of engagement and targeting directive matrix, be sure of combat ID and give that assurance was second-to-none. I would argue that, unlike our Classic Hornets, the Super Hornet’s ability to generate CAT 1 GPS-guided weapon coordinates off the aircrew’s helmet proved very flexible. Our ability to quickly react and deliver weapons accurately was borne out. We measured that and it compares very favourably with all the other strike capabilities there.
Or maybe the single seat mafia is here for a while longer?