PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Denham, Wycombe or White Waltham for PPL?
Old 19th Feb 2019, 19:12
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denham, Wycombe or White Waltham for PPL?

Hi all,

My cousin who lives in London is looking to do a PPL. I've suggested a trial lesson at either Denham, Wycombe Air Park, or White Waltham with a view to continuing with the PPL. Any experiences / opinions with these 3 airfields would be really helpful. I've suggested going to look round all 3 but I might be able to rule one out with some research. I think it would be best to choose a school first as it would be best to do the PPL at the same place as the trial lesson. Denham is closest but also closest to London control zone and has a 700ft AAL circuit which means no over head joins or glide circuits etc. Landing fees also look higher but not sure if they apply to the school based there. I've always flown PA28 / PA38 privately and so have a bias towards Piper aircraft over Cessna 152 / 172, but they are more expensive. Any opinions on Cessna vs Piper also would be useful! It's been nearly 20 years since I did my flying training and 10 years since I flew a light aircraft so I'm sure there have been changes since then (and not just the increase in cost)! Cheers!