PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can a drone do your job?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2019, 19:32
JerryG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helihub - I mean unmanned. So your job may not entirely disappear but it does change significantly.

Shy Torque - Fly the Royal Family - Yes with you on that one for the moment. So we'll count that as one so far.

John Eacott and Gordy - Helitack - Why not? Yes it's dynamic but why can't John fly his spotter drone that "designates" the target drop point, right up until the moment of drop, while Gordy monitors his automated water-carrying drone?

Helihub - "Long range swarms for SAR visual search" - Yes, plus thermal IR of course.

Hookes_Joint - "Nothing with any direct human interaction" - Just about every major manufacturer has a human carrying and fully autonomous flying machine that's already left the drawing board.

So let's widen the question to what job and why?

I'm not advocating for all or any of this, I'm just highlighting the fact that the freight train is coming down the tracks SO much quicker than we dare imagine. And BTW it's sometimes a secondary effect. I chaired the Commercial UAV conference in London in November and shared the stage with a senior guy from BP who publicly announced that their declared aim is to make some of their rigs virtually unmanned within two years. That means no helicopters required to carry people backwards and forwards. You can't ignore economics like that.