PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phantom Friday
Thread: Phantom Friday
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2019, 17:36
sandozer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by essdee
'Q' was at Gaydon for the 'Farewell to Gaydon' Air Show on 17 August 1975. As Saintsman rightly says, the aircraft was lost just a month later on 18 September. The photograph was taken just after the gear was retracted, the flaps still being lowered and the aux air doors open.

Incidentally, judging by the 'Q' on the fin, the photograph may well be a reverse image. That reminds me of the jape played by a certain RC who flew 'O' to Finningley for the BoB display there a day after 'Q' was lost. Judicious use of white tape (and black for the nosewheel door) meant that when it arrived back in Northern Dispersal at Leuchars it had a different identity. It spooked the groundcrew a bit, and I confess to being a little anxious when it was the only jet available for me and BM to do the last trip of the day at the Leuchars air show!
Good spot, indeed the photo is

Akrotiri, I think 1972.. That will be me doing a BF.
reversed. The yellow "RESCUE" is on the starboard side of the forward fuselage. Here is one of me taken a fair few years back in Akrotiri, the big zap from our Italian friends in Grazzinese.