PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Midland, BMA, BMI.
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2019, 13:34
Mooncrest

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
British Midland, BMA, BMI.

A sad time now that this name in British aviation has finally bowed out. BMA, as it was back in the day, operated some flights out of Leeds Bradford in the 1960s and 1970s - Glasgow was one and I believe there were charters to Perpignan and the Dutch bulb fields. However, it was the spring of 1980 when BMA set up a base at LBA. The company had just taken on the Heathrow route from BA and a single Viscount was based to operate the (up to) four flights a day service.

After some years, additional routes came along such as Paris CDG, Jersey, Brussels, Cork, Copenhagen, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Then, one by one, the routes were dropped until only Edinburgh and Glasgow were left, served by non-based aircraft. Eventually, nothing at all.

All those different aircraft types over the years; Viscount, Herald, DC9, F27, SH360, DHC7, F100 and F70, 737, A319/320/321, not forgetting the Embraer 135/145. At its peak, the Leeds Bradford base boasted four Embraers and one A319. Airways Cymru also leased a 1-11 to BM from 1985 to 1987. The 707 never paid a visit - I think they'd left the fleet by the time LBA had a long enough runway. I don't know if the original 1-11 500 fleet ever called in.

It's a sorry tale. I was very excited (at the age of nine) when I found out BMA were to start flying from LBA. At the time, I didn't appreciate that BA was clearing out as well. Pity.