PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why doesn't Spec Aircrew Flying Pay form part of RAF Pension?
Old 18th Feb 2019, 13:27
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sycamore
Smoke and mirrors by the MOD and the Treasury,....
As far as I am aware, neither the Treasury or MoD has ever been called upon to justify or defend their position. As I stated earlier, I was party to what I believe to have been the only organised and funded attempt to challenge the situation and that fell at the first hurdle, the merits of our case with respect to the law. That was the paid for opinion of counsel with experience and knowledge in the field using as their basis a test case that was typical of the affected group which had it proceeded to court and been successful could have established precedent and been applied across the board.

Naturally, those who supported the campaign were disappointed with the result but accepted that the law was not in our favour and any continuation of action was highly unlikely to be successful. I say again, that as far as I am aware, neither the Treasury or MoD have been formally challenged on the matter as with the law in their favour it would be pointless.

I feel that there is an unfair element in the situation but it can only be addressed by political not legal means. Having had subsequent dealings with the Pensions Regulator in a matter requiring a ministerial decision I am afraid that with very limited leverage available one is better finding more rewarding ways of spending ones time.

YS