PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK lack of sleep study - still want to work till 65?
Old 18th Feb 2019, 06:59
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Researched it in the 80s

When Swissair was trying to change retirement age from 55 to 58.
Surprisngly short haul pilots had a lower life expectancy than long haul!
But the overall stats very difficult to give a meaningful result. I lost my license when I was 45 ..nutty as a fruitcake probably due to neurotoxins and took an enhanced pension until 65 as will have outlived my last two Male generations..still here at 69 and regularly climbing mountains and flying down. But I flew with several guys who were burnt out in their early 50s and died shortly after retirement.
it's more about quality of life and mentality. I used to take as much unpaid leave as possible and take the family sailing for a month at a time. Spend every penny on enjoying ourselves and have relaxing interests outside of work.
Having grown up in post war austerity I've always appreciated what I've got and that helps.
I have a very good friend who started in coal fired power stations and has done 40 years shift work, the last ten he has been a miserable sod but took early retirement and now has a day job. Changed man.
It's the mental stress that kills.