PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2019, 20:58
TempoTCu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHSandLovingIt Thanks for your comments. In reverse order... My wife is understanding and has already made sacrifices beyond any expectations just so I can get as far as I have. I couldn't want for a better partner in my life. It will be a struggle to continue to fund my flying and not have this affect my ability to give the kids everything they want in their life but careful planning and budgeting will hopefully allow for me to chip away slowly.

I was wet behind the ears when I accrued those first few hours and the flight school told me, in no uncertain terms, "the logbook lives here [in the flight office bookcase]" so that's where it stayed. In hindsight I should have taken it, as you are correct, it was/is my ultimate responsibility. Live and learn. I couldn't even tell you the names of my instructors from back then so I'll just write that one off as a life learning experience.

As for end jobs, Number one on my list is an airline job - shiny jet syndrome? Maybe. But that is what I want and that is the goal. I'll do anything to get there. Having said that, I also have pragmatism and understand that I could be 45-50 before the opportunity presents itself - (I'm not buying into the pilot shortage)... and would an airline even take on a 50 year old 'graduate'?

If it doesn't come to pass, anything that puts me in the air brings a smile to my face [literally every time] so instructing, GA, charter and anything in between would still fill the hole in my life and bring me the satisfaction I have been seeking for nearly 40 years.

Thanks again for your comments.