PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using 'Conservative' Performance Numbers
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2019, 14:06
ROW_BOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this for real? I’d expect a ring if one day you have to offload half of the aircraft in 40kt headwind, because you were “conservative” and took 15kt tailwind and 30C higher OAT, but not for the use of TOGA.
Yes unfortunately it was all too real in that company. FO's would beg you not to use TOGA, because they too had received a call to explain why they 'allowed' a Captain to do it.
Certain airline Managers see money saving as being more important than safety considerations, and have such little respect for their pilots that they question and second guess even the routine decisions they make if they 'cost money'.

This is a setting configurable by the EFB manager. He has the option in the setup to select 1. Show all results and highlight the flex or 2. Highlight TOGA and flex only.
The FlySmart software apparently has an option to display a range of several available Flex Temps as well as Max Flex and TOGA. In the company I'm referring to the EFB Manager (the one who rings up pilots for using TOGA) told me that he had disabled that option because he 'didn't want to confuse pilots'.
I kid you not!
The truth was it was to force them to always use Max Flex whatever the conditions. TOGA was out of bounds.