PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2019, 07:00
Andre Meyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that you want to work here in Australia. However, is that work and live forever? Are your friends / family mainly in Europe?

What I'm getting to is figuring our where you want to fly is a very important question - long term.

Should you decide to work in Australia and move back to Europe then you have relocation costs. Your CASA license will need to be converted to an EASA license - same if you want to train in Canada or the US. Regardless of when you will relocate, costs will be associated with conversions. Not to mention the time involved in relocating and studying for the conversion exams.

You avoid those by going - here's were I want to fly and live for the rest of my flying career. Wherever that may be, get your license there, look for work there and fly there. Opportunities are everywhere but are only seen by those putting an effort in to look for them.

Clare Prop's point is a deal break - you can't work here if you do not have the legal right. No point in trying to get a sponsorship post training, that won't work. You need to get that sorted prior to commencing training. If residency is not an issue, then you're over one 1 hurdle.

It sounds like your in the planning stage and don't expect to be training in a few years time. Take this time to study theory of whichever license you're endeavour to get. Study now whilst you can as it will make the training easier when that happens - you can buy all the books online.

Remember a review is just a person's point of view. It's human nature to have different points of views. What might work for one might not work for another. No point in investing your money and time in a school based on someone's point of view. You need to determine whether it is right for you. If that means paying them a visit then so be it. You'll be thankful in putting down $2k for a flight and a visit to them and realising it's not for you or putting down $100k when the time comes and it does not work due to the school.

Lastly, don't try and budget this - wherever you will go, training costs money. It's your responsibility to make sure there is a return on your investment, in the form of a career.

I wish you well.