PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Lawsuit: 7 dismissed pilots suing over discrimination
Old 16th Feb 2019, 06:26
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by exfocx
You must be kidding me about not treating 457 via holders poorly. Oh, 711, Dominoes and a host of high level "celebrity" restaurants etc have been taken to court for DELIBERATELY under paying their 457 workers. RE 711, after the court action some of the franchisors took cash off their reimbursed workers. The FW Ombudsman has said that 457 workers in Australia have, on their estimates, been underpaid to the tune of 1 billion.
I think you will find most the 711 "underpaid" workers were not on 457 visas, Many were on Student Visas these visas have "work restrictions" that can make it difficult to get employment. This condition is what 711 was exploiting and that extended to underpayment for work done.

Domino's main offence was/is Sham Contracting and there was no discrimination on this - visa or no visa. Coles and Woolies trolley collectors played this game.

"Celebrity" restaurants also underpaid everyone they could.

The Ombudsman has a greater concern for migrant workers than 457 workers only. Recent checks by Fairwork on large numbers of companies in a number of states I have seen show under payment of wages is common. It was like 50-60% some amounts were small but some very large and considering the number of employed persons to 457 visa holders it is safe to state many workers are treated poorly in Australia citizens included. At my aviation work place, we have a number of workers on various visas and they are all treated just as poorly as me - an Australian citizen.

I often rent out a room to Work Holiday Visa holders. One Swedish lady "worked" on a dive boat in exchange for some form of dive training (I do not recall its title). This was for around 3 months and she was on the boat most of the time 5-6 days and nights a week, this was for no pay. I expected she was getting ripped off but she insisted that was the deal and she was more than happy. She was a lawyer but just loved diving the reef every day. The other 3 lady's all different places of employment, have all said "at least we get paid properly here". Previously they were all working in Sydney.