PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2019, 18:46
Taphappy

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angel

Originally Posted by mikehallam
Now I'm a young guy at 81 - far too young to contribute much, but our elders have largely passed on. Nor was I flight crew, though today in my 50th year as a Private Pilot I passed my bi-ennial Pilot's proficiency check in my kit built Rans S6-116 (80 h.p. 2 seats, VNE 120 mph)

I did 2 years National Service in the RAF & after suitable training at RAF Locking (Somerset) on "Ground Radar" I spent 1960 based in tented accommodation at the tip of Cyprus tending a static "mobile radar station" called No. 280 Signals Unit.

Songs were sung and the following is an attempt to recall the words of one in which - as it rhymed appropriately - we substituted the name of our unit 'Two Eighty' instead of the 'RFC'.

Now I need help to piece together the true wording and any other hints that it really did begin its Airforce Life in WW I.

So here goes. (No laughing in the ranks please !)

Old King Cole was a Merry Old Soul

and a merry old soul was he,

He called for his Flight in the middle of the night

and he called for his Bomb Aimers three.

Now all ye Bomb Aimers are very fine folk, and very fine folk are Ye.

Steady, steady, steady, steady, Left, said the Bomb Aimer,

I don't care two F**cks said the Pilot, Merry Merry men are we

For there's none so fair as can compare with the boys of the

How's yer Mother, Half Tight,

How's your Sister, She might !

Oompha oompah stick it up your Jumper........
Mike Hallam
My recollection is that the song went something like this.
1 Our wingco was a fine type and a jolly fine type was he, he called for his kites in the middle of the night and he called for his pilots 3
Now every pilot was a fine type and a jolly fine type was he.
I just couldn't care less said the pilot, merry, merry men are we. There's none so rare as can compare with the boys of squadron G.
2. As 1 but for pilot read navigator I'm 10 miles of track said the navigator etc etc
3 As 1 but for pilot read bomb aimer. Left left steady, dummy rum said the bomb aimer etc etc.
4 As 1 but for pilot read engineer. I want 10lbs boost said the engineer etc etc
5. As1 but for pilot read wireless op. dah di di dah di di dah said the wireless op etc etc
6.As 1 but for pilot read mid upper. Corkscrew corkscrew port said the mid upper etc etc
7 As1 but for pilot read rear gunner, I'm bloody cold, bloody cold said the rear gunner etc etc.
No idea whether originated from WW 1.