PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2019, 08:27
Northern Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FACoff
Seniority is important, but I'm not sure I agree with this any more. Recruitment onto LH and SH fleets is almost on a par at the moment. I would question the benefit of taking SH over LH while that is the case and, moreover, projects to be the case for some time yet - especially when the tradeoff is 5 years of your life for what will invariably only be a fractional increase in seniority.

Also bear in mind that some of the people posting here have never experienced BA short haul in its current form, especially when junior (full EASA, JSS optimised, bi-monthly reserve, etc) so have no idea what they're recommending, or how appalling it really is. The simple fact is that the way BA rosters are now engineered, your roster is likely to be pretty awful wherever you start. Yes, seniority may increase marginally quicker on short haul than it would on long haul, but if you're still spending over double the time in uniform, does that seniority really equate to a better lifestyle?
I think the answer is that over 5 years, seniority will increase markedly faster on short haul. That means more weekends off, more credit efficient trips and less days at work, less reserve. Sounds like a lifestyle improvement to me.