PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around Procedures UK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2003, 18:25
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but I'd disagree.

To pick up on one particular point (although the same argument applies to all of the points made): the 45-degree join to downwind.

Do you really expect instructors in the US to teach students to fly overhead joins at American airfields? Where every other pilot is doing a 45-degree join? Of course not - it would be bl00dy dangerous! Doesn't matter what license you have, or are training for, you need to follow the rules and conventions in the country you're flying in. It might be worth a mention in ground-school that certain things are done differently in the UK, especially since it is known that the pilot will be using his license in the UK, but that's about all you can do. Then, when the newly-qualified pilot returns home, he should spend a short while with a UK-based instructor covering any differences.

I trained in the UK. Shortly after I got my PPL, I did some hour-building in the US - the same story, but the other way around. The instructors at my school in the US made sure I was aware of all the local conventions (45-degree joins, Unicom frequencies, different requirements for entering Class D airspace, probably lots of other stuff that slips my mind) before they let me loose.

Since the original question relates to commercial flights, the pilots concerned obviously may not have had a chance to fly with an instructor in the airpsace they're flying into, which makes things slightly difficult. Not sure what the solution is, but I'm sure that DFC is looking in the wrong place. Sorry, DFC!

FFF
---------------