PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 14th Feb 2019, 20:51
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

@FCeng......, and from previous post:
gums - 737MAX does not have an issue with pitch control authority. The pilot has plenty of pitch authority via the column to the elevator to initiate and recover from any pitch maneuver provided MCAS either does not function or functions with the design limited authority of 2.5 degrees stabilizer at low speed and less as speed increases.
YBSM! Seems from descriptions of MCAS that the 2.5 degree limit is "per a single MCAS trim command for "x" seconds" before a 5 second pause for Hal to catch his breath. Hal could also take a breath before the ten second application of nose down trim if the pilot beeped the trim switch, huh?
Secondly. a coupla degrees AoA change of the big horizontal stabilizer has much more authority than the small elevator that is directly controlled ( more or less if we add in STS, A/P and the "feel" system stuff) by the control column.GASP. I would preferred a full FBW system with clearly defined laws and well known limits.

The 610 crew was pulling at over 100 friggin' pounds aft to no avail. Was that an example of
plenty of pitch authority via the column to the elevator
??

I don't buy it.

The plane seems to have a serious problem at a certain critical AoA, and maybe the power setting exacerbates the problem. Otherwise we would have no need for MCAS, right?

I do not wish to get into a p!ssing contest with anyone here on the public forum thread. But I feel I have flown enough, and had enough aero courses in school, and experienced enough real life structural and system failures to comment I survived due to knowledge and "hands". And finally, as far as the 737 pitch authority goes, "I'll show you mine if you will show me yours!"

Note that at about 15 to 20 degrees AoA, that neutral control begins to result in uncommanded nose up pitch.
Ae would all love to see a plot such as this of the 737 at full power or idle or cruise settings.

Gums sends...