PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Female USAF F-16 Demo Team Commander Fired After Two Weeks
Old 14th Feb 2019, 19:07
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
I am a bit more concerned about this Air Force member's performance than the young captain's. Sleeping with the enemy, as it were.
Back on topic:
Some of you seem to forget how one becomes a wise old mil aviator.

A good friend of mine lost his aircraft commander papers for 90 days due to flying a bit too low and our CO getting a phone call. XO, OPSO, and CO, called him in, standard Navy ass chewing was administered.
He began his "you are a second pilot again" tour the next day as my copilot on a maintenance check flight.
Who knew? Our squadron, the squadron we shared a hangar with, and of course the Wing.
As the weeks went by and scuttlebutt spread, a few of the other squadrons on the air station also learned of our squadron's black eye. It wasn't broadcast to the whole world via electronic means.

For this hard charging young captain I feel great empathy.
We all trip here and there on the way to becoming seasoned professionals. Her CO should have been able to call her into his office, tell her
"I can't have you doing (whatever) if you are in this billet, so I am reassigning you to ___"
and it remain within the wing. Granted, there is some PR stuff involved with this, but this isn't national news.

Here sit some of you who have been through a similar journey to mine, getting all on board with the naming and shaming game.
There but for the grace of God go I,
F**k the internet age.