PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Temp Error Correction USA
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2019, 18:40
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp Error Correction USA

Notwithstanding the whys and wherefores of Temperature Error Correcting altimeters, I'm just wondering what the general procedures are in the USA in an aircraft that doesn't have FMCs that automatically correct for the error. I know the FAA publishes a list of Cold Weather airports with temperature limits (snowflake symbol), below which one must apply corrections but what about airports not on the list?

Say I was cleared the VOR 22L at JFK and it was -10decC at the field. My thinking is I'd be correcting the step heights & MDA etc for the temperature but JFK isn't on the list of Cold Weather airports so would a local operator be correcting the altitudes? Or would they not bother as the FAA had checked out the Required Obstacle Clearances at various temps and deemed that they weren't infringed so a correction wasn't necessary? The AIM suggests the latter - "e. Pilots are responsible to compensate for cold temperature altimetry errors when operating into an airport with any published cold temperature restriction and a reported airport temperature at or below the published temperature restriction."

I appreciate that RNAV approaches often have minimum temperatures for uncompensated LNAV/VNAV approaches, below which one is unable to fly the approach.

I'd be grateful for any info from those working in the States please!