PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 14th Feb 2019, 16:08
FCeng84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gums - 737MAX does not have an issue with pitch control authority. The pilot has plenty of pitch authority via the column to the elevator to initiate and recover from any pitch maneuver provided MCAS either does not function or functions with the design limited authority of 2.5 degrees stabilizer at low speed and less as speed increases. The characteristic that MCAS mitigates is one that would probably not have been deemed worthy of correction for a high performance military airplane design. The need, without MCAS, to relax the column pull to keep the AOA from increasing with constant column position would have probably been deemed "a feature". It is my understanding that there is not on any 737 model a risk of a locked in pull-up or locked in stall regardless of how the maneuver is flown. I further believe that starting from a trimmed pitch condition, any pull-up maneuver followed by releasing the column back to its detent will result in recovery to lower AOA / normal load factor. I don't think that a column push is needed to recover from a maneuver initiated via column pull provided one starts from a trimmed condition.

What MCAS strives to maintain is a monotonic, deterministic steady state pull-up pitch response as column pull is increased. The plot of steady AOA / normal load factor vs. column pull should be monotonic. The pilot should be able to target any desired AOA / normal load factor within the normal flight envelopes for those parameters by ramping the column aft to the appropriate position and holding it there. No pilot compensation required to achieve and maintain the targeted load factor during the typical demonstration maneuvers of 1 or 3 knot per second stall entries or wind-up turns.