PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Female USAF F-16 Demo Team Commander Fired After Two Weeks
Old 14th Feb 2019, 13:14
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Taking this as a straight and unlinked question:

Originally Posted by tartare;10389201If a manifestly incompetent commander is appointed to a unit like this - how does it work in terms of military culture and the on the ground reality of command and control?

[b
Generally you suck it up, know you will be posted before them or they will be posted within 2_years[/b]

Do the subordinates just grin and bear it - hoping more senior officers will notice?

Yes

Does one of the subordinates go over their commanders head - and have a quiet word with the bosses boss?

Possibly but you need to consider personal politics. The person may have friends in high places Or the subordinate has friends in high places.

​​​​​​

Or is there a `work to rule' type scenario - where subordinates more or less tacitly rebel against the commander?

Yes, often occurs with 'old hands - new broom' scenario

Just wondering...
Some bosses have history. Old sweats just keep their heads down. Within a sqn it is essential that there is loyalty and loyalty is a two way street.

Years ago we had a farewell speech by out commander. It began 'never before have I experienced such a bunch of rebellious junior officers . . . '

Said it all really.