PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAF acquisition of British Airways Viscount 800s.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 11:46
k3k3

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In the mid seventies Alidair had a contract to fly the Scottish Daily Express from Manchester to Lossiemouth with Viscounts every night. I flew with them sitting on the stacks of newspapers many times in 1975, and from Lossie to Aberdeen or Derby on the way down south.

Lossie was my first posting after trade training, as I came from the Portsmouth area Alidair, along with a shift schedule that gave me one week off in four, was a Godsend.

At least one of the aircraft was ex-Air Inter, the titles showed through the over painting.

I was working in the visiting aircraft flight and we would turn them around between Hangars 3 and 4, which was a bit tight for an aircraft of that size. Alidair had both 700 and 800 series aircraft, the ground power receptacle on the 700 series was just behind the plane of the propellers on the centre line of the belly, I didn't like going there, on the 800s it was in line with the trailing edge of the wing which was much better.

I've rambled on a bit but it's just memories.