PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects for future upcoming pilots in East Africa
Old 14th Feb 2019, 04:59
flyingcrankshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sankara
CFI training is not as costly as you are insinuating my friend. Its actually chepaer than most of the other trainings. Am sure for about $7500, you can get your CFI licence.
Its true that the CFI course cost about $7500. But in order to get the necessary visa to work in the US after completing the course, I need a longer course (That's according to the school. Maybe they just want to suck more money out of me). Meaning I have to do CFI, CFII and MEI. It takes about half a year if everything goes on smoothly. The whole program alone cost about $24000 (Plus the school requires me to pay 50% upfront before the course starts). That's not including other expenses (accommodation, transport, etc). I have been corresponding with schools and doing the calculations recently. The amount adds up to quite a lot and I know that being a pilot have a huge start up cost.

So, after thinking about it, I see myself having two options. Option one (expensive) is to suck it up and gather all my funds for the CFI courses. Or two (less expensive), build a little more hours and find a job in the single engine (hopefully in Africa) and move on from there.

I appreciate all your replies. It really makes me think more about my current situation. Thanks!