PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 14th Feb 2019, 04:16
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

@FCeng from my post
So I get the impression that the 737 Max with MCAS has a serious problem up at a high AoA where even neutral control stick/wheel/yoke will not prevent an increasing AoA and stall. Am I right?
What I am implying is that the MCAS was put in the plane in order to satisfy certification requirements and just old basic aero you would expect from an airliner. i.e. it was not installed or required in previous 737 models.

I have a good plot of the longitudinal pitch authority of the plane I flew 30 years ago. At one point (AoA) the stab looses nose down control authority with a "neutral" stick command. Ditto for my VooDoo, and most of us could feel the stick getting lighter if we were pulling hard. No feedback of any kind in the Viper or Airbus to let you know how close you wereto losing it.

So what I am hearing about the new 737 is that as we get close to a certain high AoA that the plane looses some amount of pitch authority that is normally commanded by the pilot. Worse, it may even enter the "pitch up" mode where no pilot command will lower the nose.

Gums sends...