PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Chopper Access - #inthedarkages
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2019, 15:44
EESDL

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Waterloo Heliport
Old Lurker -To be fair to the industry, safety levels and rooftop helipad design have improved significantly with the introduction of credible OEI machines etc.
There could be an argument for keeping such movements to 'Commercial' operations or at least pilots whom are well rehearsed (inc sim) in such practices.
I guess it will be up to the heliport operator to 'up the ante' re training/licence requirements rather than the NAA to show local planners that the issue is not open to abuse?
City architects whom I have spoken to are under the impression that roof-top sites are only for HEMS - but they couldn't tell me why they had come to such a conclusion - just lore.....
HEMS aircraft seem to be busy using various rooftops up and down the UK without incident.
The publicity of the recent 169 tragedy has not helped but is not relevant in the cold light of day. That was a private operation not carrying out a vertical rooftop helipad profile (ie, does not expose the aircraft to such degree) blah blah
However, I agree that there is some significant PR work to be done but not sure whom is actually doing it........

Does anyone else form a wry smile when they see attention-grabbing headlines by OEMs and 'innovators/visionaries' extolling the virtues of eVTOL 'aircraft' and the benefits of having our skies filled with them?

Last edited by EESDL; 13th Feb 2019 at 16:07.