PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beach moth
Thread: Beach moth
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 20:02
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sheppey
Todays flying schools syllabus includes short field landings but the airspeed is never reduced below Vref or 1.3VS which is normal landing speed. That being so, why is it called "short field landing" when clearly it isn't ? Is it illegal to deliberately approach at a speed less than Vref or 1.3Vs? Does that risk CASA legal action if caught in the act? Just wondering..
The objective is to achieve the distances given by "the book" not to win at the upcoming short field contest - so you know whether you can get in and out of a particular airstrip. CAO 20.7.4 is quite clear on the subject:
10.1 Subject to paragraphs 10.3 and 10.4, an aeroplane must not land unless the landing distance available is equal to or greater than the distance required to bring the aeroplane to a complete stop or, in the case of aeroplanes operated on water, to a speed of 3 knots, following an approach to land at a speed not less than 1.3VS maintained to within 50 feet of the landing surface. .....
10.3 Subject to paragraph 10.4, where there is an approved foreign flight manual or a manufacturer’s data manual for an aeroplane that sets out the landing distance required for that aeroplane, then that aeroplane must be operated so as to comply with the requirements set out in paragraphs 10.1 and 10.2 or the requirements relating to landing distance set out in either of those manuals.
For my airplane, the manufacturer's manual has a landing approach speed not much above the stall speed so that's what I must use when doing tailwheel endorsements per Part 61 MOS.

I look forward to seeing what is in the new Part 91 MOS as the draft was diabolical on this subject.