PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight students: are age and proficiency related?
Old 12th Feb 2019, 17:25
Krautwald

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Flight students: are age and proficiency related?

Hi all,
as an older modular student (finally done this year soon) I have at times struggled with especially the "wizz kid" stuff like fast calculations and the likes - it took me a lot of practice to put myself to standard. I also sometimes during new procedures felt I was too slow for the aircraft. On the other hand, this could easily be down to my general level of math talent (mediocre...) and age related self-scrutiny, for I have never actually been criticized by instructors, nor done anything really foolish with an aircraft - while some younger go-getter types DID eff up here and there but never thought of it as relevant for their general pilot aptitude.

So I actually donīt know what my post-30 age has meant for my learning, and my proficiency.

Would you mind telling your story or your experience as an instructor/recruiting captain/training captain or whatever? Do older flight students and older cadets learn and perform differently? Are certain career paths more adviseable for us as a group? Any differences between jet and prop world experience?