PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about quitting
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 09:24
sharpend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan, just adding to what I wrote earlier. Navigation is a means to an end; you need it to get somewhere. Yesterday my wife & I flew to Halfpenny Green for lunch and met some lovely like-minded pilots. Navigation (in the real world) is rather easy. Apart from following the M5 from Gloucester to Halfpenny Green, we had a map with a line on it (took 5 seconds to do), a PLOG produced by SkyDemon and 3 separate Sat Nav (yes really). We were not going to get lost. OK, so as an ex RAF pilot/nav instructor I can navigate by map & stopwatch. In fact I used to in my Hawker Hunter at 420 knots. But here is the rub; it is so easy these days with sat nav. Nice to just look out the window and admire the scenery and watch out for any conflictions. OK, sat nav can go wrong, so you need a back-up plan. Mine is to carry more than one and anyway, they rarely fail. Finally, you personally navigate all the time. You go to the shops, you go to the bathroom, to work, etc. Any problems? I thought not. Same with flying. Just get thro the licence then all will be well.