PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 03:16
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I was being told for example, ‘pull back --- no! Not that much!’ or ‘pull back --- no, really pull back ---- more!’ I worried that I was not judging my height above the runway accurately
When I'm teaching landings, particularly on the water, the pre-landing briefing will be that once the flare is begun there will never be a "push" on the flight controls, the the ailerons and rudder will be used to keep the plane aligned with the runway. Then, the patter at the beginning of the flare, through to touchdown will be something like: "pull, pull, hold, hold, hold, pull, pull, hold hold, pull, pull, hold, hold...." until the plane touches nicely, upon which I will remind to continue the pull. If the student is pulling too much, or too quickly, I will quickly say "hold" to stop the pull.

In the most ideal circumstances, which was a local lake, so ice for miles in all directions, I was able to talk my 18 year old cousin through several very nice landings within her first hour flying the 150. In that case though, there was no need to keep the planes aligned with any runway (it was everywhere), and I was controlling the power, so I could stretch out her flare if I needed to.

Try to prevent the aircraft from touching, while not providing enough power for it to sustain flight!