PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving HK - criminal record check
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2019, 21:38
Kotuku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through this last year, or tried to. I Retired from HKG in September 2017 and I had some spare time to fill my days, during the NZ Winter months, whilst I waited to start my new house build, which has been a saga in itself and I looked at driving one of the Special Needs minibuses and a Driving Miss Daisy thing, where you get booked to take mainly older folks and those on Medical Assistance, to the Shops or appointments etc. To do that, you need a 'P' Licence', which is a Passenger Licence and to get that, you need to have a Police Check. They wanted me to report on my 5 years I lived in the UK from 1979 to 1984, getting clearances from the various Police Stations where I lived. Then to do the same with the Hong Kong side of things, for the last 33 years living and working there, the procedures for that were even more complicated and long winded and it was not going to be really possible to do from NZ, with the administrative road blocks and lack of common sense in HKG and it all got in the too hard tray and I gave it away. I waited patiently for the Summer and now play a lot more golf and go fishing and biking for my sins.

There are some things you think would be easy and straight forward to do, but they are not and unless I had those clearances, which would have taken months, a lot of hassles and effort on my part, just to get a simple P Licence, there was no way the NZ Authorities were going to budge on it either. It is crazy, but it is what it is and you will beat your brains in, trying to change things at times, out of frustration. The Dingbats are taking over the world.

Cheers. PH