PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Air Boeing 737MAX8 stuck in Iran
Old 10th Feb 2019, 21:13
EIFFS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluSdUp
ATC Watcher.
Spot on You are.
We need to get back to basics as per ICAO agreement, rules and recommendations.
We are in a sad state when Crew need to make political considerations before committing to an alternate in an Emergency.

Cargo one.
Yes, I would imagine that Mr Boeing is not happy with Washington on this one. I hope they push hard. ( Over the cliff he goes, sorry, could not be helped.)
The idea that I have to ask Donald were to bring my excellent Buck folding knife ( purchased in Canada exported to Norway with no export licence in 1993 ) does not appeal to me.
F35s sure,but taping up a busted MAX and getting it home to Oslo ASAP should trigger some RealPolitik executive orders.

BTW
The longer it sit there the more tempted I would be to have a look/see at all the fancy modern stuff inside it , if I was the top Spy Guy in Iran.
Just an observation.
Mind You Iran is adhering to the letter and intent of the old Nuclear agreement and are honoring any ICAO commitments in this case.
Anyway
It will be back before Easter, I bet.
Consider it a novel winter dry storage of excess aircraft.
It should be back early mid March latest, the US shutdown hasn’t helped any, Norwegian continue to overfly Iran, no real change in guidance, the commander has the ultimate responsibility for passengers and crew, but should consider politics in considering where to divert, the QRH continues unchanged land at the nearest suitable airport.

Norwegians pilot management are in the main a practical bunch, you won’t be invited for tea no biscuits for flying a further 10-30 minutes with OEI and avoiding Iran, most of the guys doing these routes have ETOPS experience, the biggest practicality is explaining to ATC why you need to descend to FL230 but not diverting.

IMPO having the aircraft stuck in a country under sanctions might make it not suitable