PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounce, bounce, bounce
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2003, 07:30
down&out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AD & Penguina

I'm sure everyone has been there. My best? Bouncing experience was on my 1st solo. I was in the CCF so a youngster of 16, with very little experience, in a motor glider, with the engine turned off - so a G/A was NOT an option!

Due to the altimeter sticking on the downwind leg I got too low. When I realised I then over corrected but cut too much off on base and became too high on finals. So, as I now realise the start of the problem was, I came in too fast and high.

So tried I to get it to land as soon as I could and of course bounced on the grass. I then achieved, as I found out later, textbook PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation). Each time I went up, I pushed the stick forward to stop the climb, then pulled back for England on the way down again - I think I got in 5 or 6 bounces.

I sat there at the end, having lost half a pound in sweat in 30 seconds, to be met by my instructor with a big smile saying it happens to the best of them and don't worry! (Or put it another way, that was the end of my training, as the course I was on was only to 1st solo, so he didn't care as I hadn't broken the a/c or me )

Looking back, I would definitely agree the best option if the approach or landing isn’t right is to go around. I also later found about about PIO. So I also suggest you also look up/ chat with your instructor about PIO, to understand the causes and how to overcome it, if you can’t go around! I wouldn't call myself the world's expert on this now. I think, like most people, I have learn't it with experience, but also understanding more about it does help.

Have fun!

D&O