PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burnout in the pilot profession
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2019, 21:40
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Winterland
For me, the fun went out of flying when I left the military.

And now, the fatigue, the constant pressure of management decisions, the perpetual adjustment of rosters,the constant re-writng and inventing of SOPS and manuals and attacks on our terms and conditions, especially in the area of FTLs have made the job a chore which quite frankly I would not be upset if I had to stop tomorrow. (Apart from the cash that is!)

Not burnout, just fatigue and tedium.

My advice, go and get a hobby removed from flying and leave the job behind you when you leave the airport. Sailing works for me.
I sympathise Dan as I felt much the same way. I stuck with the arline business for twenty plus years after military but bailed out early. Don't get me wrong, I flew with some great people either side of the flight deck door but the sheer tedium of sitting on autopilot for hour after hour at all times of the day and night did not do a lot for me. The only challenges were the difficult airports and the days when things went awry for whatever reason. I also found the relentless changing of SOP's and reinventing the wheel an absolute pain. I still do a little flying but like you have found other hobbies to keep me occupied !