PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iceland trip!!
Thread: Iceland trip!!
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2019, 18:42
Jimbo3840

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I have flown in Iceland a number of times, and it was a great experience each time. I found ATC very relaxed and helpful. Reykjavik is a very accommodating airport, and long walking distance or short taxi to anywhere in Reykjavik you could want to be. If you're in Reykjavik, you owe it to yourself to take a day to the Blue Lagoon, it's a bus ride away toward Keflavik.

I very highly recommend flying to two airports:

Vestmannaeyjar, which is an Island less than an hour south east from Rekjavik. It is famous for a volcanic eruption in 1973, which buried half the town. Evidence is still visible, and excavations are underway. Town is a very pleasant walk from the airport. You can take the longer walk from the airport, and climb the volcanoes. There's lots to see on that Island, and were I to return, I would spend a night or two. Be very careful fo turbulence landing at that airport, the winds are often strong, and there can be windshear over the cliffs landing on 30. I flew my base so as to turn close final inside the shoreline, so as to not overfly the cliffs, and expose myself to the risk (and give my wife and daughter a smooth ride - it was fine)

And, Akureyri to the north. A beautiful city in a fjord. The airport is very accommodating, and there's a nice aviation museum there. The flight there will take you across the island, so plan your weather, but the view is great! From Akureyri rent a car, and drive up the fjord past Dalvik, the view is magnificent.

thanks very much. Operationally, how did you find the flying from Scotland over. Was there full radar coverage all the way? Anything different from normal?