PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 9th Feb 2019, 15:55
dsc810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim1
To wish the standards of road dangers on the aviation industry would be something of a backwards step in my opinion.
Sadly you are ignoring the fact that compared to the number of people who travel on the roads and the number of fatalities when set against the much fewer people who do GA and their accident rate then you are indeed at a very much higher risk in GA.
I recall hearing a figure of 7 times a while back though I think that was in the field of leisure GA rather than commercial GA travel. Incidentally the most dangerous possible leisure activity you can do is horse riding.

It's the same erroneous perception made about how dangerous motorways and dual carriageways are. Yet due to the huge traffic flows on them their accident rate per vehicle mile traveled is very low. Near to me two single carriage A roads were identified in an Euro study of being of the most dangerous in the UK: they did not have much traffic on them yet manage to accumulate huge number of fatalities. Yet in the local news all we hear (after some gargantuan pile up) is how we desperately need updates to a major dual carriage A road in the area as it is so dangerous.......errr no it is not.