PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAI/2019 Gathering in Atlanta
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2019, 15:46
Robbiee

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordy
Thank you for the kind words SAS....

Yes I am running for the Board of Directors this year. As most who know me on this forum, I am not afraid to speak my mind and not afraid to ask the questions that need asking...I am also willing to offer advice and share knowledge.

We should have a PPRune Rotorheads gathering...and yes i will spring for the first round of adult beverages... Let me look at my schedule, (there are certain gatherings I will have to attend), and figure a good date and time for said gathering.

For once I will toot my own horn as I campaign for the votes of the members.....Sometimes the wise cracking guy in the corner with long messy "helmet head" hair who likes to fly on fires might know a thing or two....here is my campaign Biography:

Gordon (Gordy) Cox
Redding Air Service
Office (530) 221-2851 Cell (530) 410-3480
E-mail: [email protected]

Born into an aviation family, I have been in professional aviation since 1982 when I joined the British Royal Air Force. Since leaving in 1989 I have served in various positions in the US helicopter, holding the roles of line pilot, instructor, Chief Instructor, Chief Pilot, Director of Operations and numerous committee positions, across a wide spectrum of the industry.

Along with still being an active pilot, I strive on a daily basis to run a company as ethically and regulatorily compliant as possible, while still watching out for the bottom line. I am a huge proponent of “education and outreach”, and I would like the privilege to utilize my experience to safeguard, enhance, improve, and grow our industry. Those who know me, realize that I am not afraid to ask the questions that need asking.

Aviation Background/Highlights

• I Joined the British Royal Air Force at age 18, served 8 years flying in the back of Nimrods, the British equivalent of the US Navy P3 Orion aircraft, as an Air Electronics Operator chasing Russian submarines and conducting Search & Rescue.

• Trained as a helicopter pilot in 1990 at Helicopter Adventures Inc.

• I was the Chief Instructor and Director of Operations for Helicopter Adventures Inc. During the eight years there I wrote nine Part 141 courses, was an administrating official for all VA, J-visa and ACCSCT programs (1990 through 1998).

• During my time in the San Francisco Bay area I was also the named Chief Pilot for Whirlybirds Inc. on their part 133 and 135 certificates. I was part of the initial team of pilots for the Contra Costa County Sheriff Department. I was also designated FAA Air-boss for numerous airshows in the San Francisco Bay area, assuming full control (under NOTAM), of Class D airspace for national airshow performers. I was also on the 1992 US Helicopter team.

• I was appointed as an FAA Accident Prevention Counselor in the Oakland FSDO in 1992, and continued counseling through 1998 when I left for Hawaii.

• In Hawaii I flew as a line pilot and again worked my way up to managerial position of Chief Pilot for Island Helicopters Inc.

• I was voted as the Pilot Representative, and FAA appointed member to the Hawaii Air Tour Safety Working Group for the Honolulu FSDO. This work was the precursor to part 136.

• I was Director of Operations and Check Airman for Island Express Helicopters in Long Beach, CA for 5 years, and oversaw the growth of the company from 4 Astar helicopters to a fleet of 3 Astars and 3 Sikorsky S-76’s.

• I am currently the Director of Operations for Redding Air Service in Northern California, overseeing a fleet of 8 light and medium helicopters working fire and utility contracts nationwide.

• I am currently the Chairman of the HAI Tour Operator Committee, Vice-Chairman of the Tour Operator Program of Safety, (TOPS), and a member of the HAI Regulatory Safety Working Group.

• I am a graduate of Helicopter Association International, (HAI), Advanced Helicopter Management Course, various “Flying in the Wire Environment,” accident investigation, Leadership, SMS and Advanced SMS courses.

• Throughout my almost 17,000 hours flight time career, I have conducted numerous different types of commercial flying, including: instruction, air shows, ENG, fire suppression, banner tow, law enforcement, oil rigs, aerial filming and photography, tours, and power & pipe line inspections.
So your a member of TOPS? What's the deal with that 1,000 hour requirement to fly tours? I only ask because at only 400 hours I gave a few rides in a Jet Ranger up in Oregon and couldn't help but think to myslf the whole time, "It takes 1,000 hours to do THIS"?