PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just because I don't expect a straightforward answer...
Old 7th Feb 2019, 21:02
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Okihara
As the discussion is slightly drifting out of context, I'd like to ask flight instructors reading this:
When sending your students solo, do you ever ask them to practise stalls? e.g. on consolidation solo flights before their flight tests.
Stalling is not an aerobatic manouvre otherwise instructors without an aero activity endorsement (and the majority won't), would not be able to do them - let alone teach them.

There is no 'stalling' flight activity endorsement (like there is for spinning) so you can stall without holding a licence (ie a student), therefore a student should be able to legally stall an aircraft solo.

As I see it...

I can see no regulation that would prevent allowing a student who had been assessed as competent to enter and recover from a stall, to practise them as part of their supervised solo consolidation. (Would love to know if there is a regulation though - is there anything I am missing?)

The decision to allow a student to practise stalling solo on any particular flight would depend on the student's training, ability and currency on the aircraft (as assessed by the instructor supervising the solo). The instructor would have to explicitly brief the student on what manouvres and sequences they would practise on the solo flight.

Am I missing something?